We are all about Embedded Open Source — Expertise, Software, Engineering Services.
Timesys Corporation is a leading provider of embedded, open source software and services across the “Embedded Project Spectrum” — from BSPs and devices, to mobile applications and IoT systems. With Timesys expertise, OEMs, ODMS and design houses can reduce product development costs, get to market faster, reallocate development resources, and reduce project and business risks. Timesys and its broad partner ecosystem are used across a variety of industries, including medical, industrial, networking and transportation.
- More Linux experience and expertise than other open source, embedded system integrators — founded more than 20 years ago as a Linux software and services firm.
- A broad portfolio — from embedded software development and integration services across a spectrum of elements and systems (e.g. BSPs, devices, mobile, IoT, etc.), to training, support, software and tools.
- The largest number of hardware partners – from SoC manufacturers, to SoM and SBC manufacturers and distributors — of any truly open source embedded software and services firm.
- Easy on-boarding — from simple contracts to expert training and simple tools that work with open or commercial distributions of Linux. Secure evaluation agreements and NDAs quickly (typically in one or two days — versus weeks!).
- Credibility and references via 1000+ projects related to open source products and services.
- Global reach — with development in the U.S. and India, and sales and support in NA, EMEA and APAC.
Timesys Corporation was founded in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA by principals affiliated with Carnegie Mellon University to develop and market embedded operating system technology for devices requiring time-critical behavior. During our initial eight years, we made major contributions to the embedded industry by being:
- The first to develop and maintain a real-time embedded Linux distribution,
- The first to register Carrier Grade Linux (CGL),
- The first to deliver to the open source community a commercial-grade embedded Linux development framework (LinuxLink),
- The first to develop and deliver an award-winning, automated, intelligent embedded Linux build system (Factory),
- An early enabler of the Linux plug-in for Eclipse as a member of the Eclipse board of stewards starting in 2003, and
- A founding member and early supporter of the Yocto Project, a Linux Foundation workgroup.
Since then, we have grown the business by expanding regionally, building one of the largest partner ecosystems in the embedded industry, and focusing on embedded, open source software, tools and services to develop high performance BSPs and devices. Driven by industry trends and customer demands, it is time for us to move on to the next step.
Customers now need embedded software services and tools that stem beyond simple BSPs. New capabilities such as mobility, networked devices and multi-dimension user-interfaces are making embedded projects more complex, creating new service opportunities. Timesys is responding by expanding its portfolio to support both “lower level” software needs via BSP hosting, security management, and field update management services, and “higher level” software needs via device development and integration, mobile development and access, and IoT development and integration services.