Windows® Embedded Migration to a New Embedded OS
If you’re a developer whose embedded application is currently based on a legacy Windows Embedded OS, are you prepared for when support for Windows CE 6.0 ends in 2017 and for Windows CE 7 in 2020? To be safe, you need to port or rewrite your applications for a new embedded OS now. Key factors to consider include:
- Windows Embedded 8 and later versions aren’t compatible with WinCE 7 and earlier, so a move to Windows Embedded 8 means you’ll have to re-architect / overhaul your application.
- Windows Embedded 8 doesn’t support the wide range of form factors (e.g. screen sizes) needed for embedded devices.
- Running commonly used software such as Python and Node.js is not straight forward in WinCE.
Combined, Windows CE 6 and Windows CE 7 power more than ninety percent of embedded hand-held and POS devices.*
*Excludes mobile phones
Windows Embedded OS migration options are open source Linux or open source Android.
From a high-level architectural view, Windows and Linux are very similar. However, there are some challenges with porting due to the following:
- Linux system calls are simply different.
- There are likely to be differences between the I/O architecture.
- Interprocess / interprocessor communication could be quite different.
High-Level View of Windows and Linux Architecture
Timesys’ 4-Phase Embedded OS Migration Process
- Analyze the existing product code and applications so as to understand design dependencies
- Identify parameters critical to quality
- Set acceptance criteria
Gap Identification & Sizing
- Investigate modules and frameworks so as to minimize the changes in user space apps
- Examine third-party modules used, and find equivalent solution
- Size the effort
Port & Optimize
- Incrementally develop, test and demo agile methodology in short sprint
- Implement performance optimizations
- Perform system test
- Meet acceptance criteria
Deploy & Support
- Transfer knowledge
- Assist during initial deployment phase
- Provide technical phone support for initial deployment
- Provide longer-term maintenance services and lifecycle support (available as needed)
Rely on Timesys to help you with Windows Embedded OS migration.
- We provide tools that make embedded system development easy (Linuxlink, TimeStorm).
- Our engineers have proven expertise in developing device drivers, BSPs, SDKs and embedded OS kernels including Linux and Android.
- Our team consists of engineers with number of years of experience in Windows Embedded based ecosystem.
- We have experience in porting applications onto Qt and Cordova or natively.
- We provide a transparent 4-phase process for embedded OS migration.
- We have a strong relationship with leading semiconductor companies and the open source community.
- We can provide post-deployment support and maintenance services, as needed.
- Our broad global reach ensures high customer satisfaction and greater productivity — no matter where our customers are located.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
Have a Windows® Embedded OS migration project you’d like to discuss?
We’d be happy to help you with your migration from Windows® Embedded to another open source embedded OS. For more information, fill out our online form, contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1.866.392.4897 (toll-free) or +1.412.232.3250.